Friday 9 October 2015

Preparation for October 2015 Black Belt Grading

I was hoping by now to have filled page after page of information on preparation for the October black belt grading, which is now just about a week away. However,  none of my carefully planned out regime worked the way I thought it would and I seem to have spent more time recovering from injury than anything else. I also went down a route to a place I really didn't want to go, and it was only by the good graces of Mr Chahal (OK.. I got a verbal rollicking from him) and then a complete pestering off a few people (thanks Gill, Helen, Karen, Teagan, Heather, Fiona, Craig, Simon etc) that got my ears burning so badly, that something in the back of my mind started saying "yeah ok, do this!" after the 2nd pre-black belt session. Yes, my own wife, daughter and son harassed me no end.... just cant trust family these days! :) It was that very night that I was given no option when Karen asked me to switch the printer on and next thing I know a copy of the black belt grading application form started churning out..... I had but to get it completed, photos printed and then hand it all into Mr Chahal at the next session and that was it.... no going back. 

A few people will know I had recently lost my mojo for taekwondo, mainly due to the persistent knee injury, which incidentally has started to improve the more I train... go figure! After a few club training classes and the pre-black belt sessions, I started getting this mojo back.... and in spades too! One of my work colleagues, Gordon, has been getting this overflowing enthusiasm a lot recently (sorry mate!). Hoping it will maybe spur him into giving TKD a try too. 

Like the rest of the students grading, I to have some nerves, which is only natural, but I have been practising outside of class (yes really!) and doing theory via the various apps and the black belt schools website. I'm feeling a bit more confident that this new preparation work has me on the right track and in the right frame of mind. Most of us dread the theory and once it's out the way we tend to relax a bit. Maybe not this time though. I'm fully expecting a tough testing of both theory and physical skills on the day. From speaking to others who have gone through this, they tell me it's an experience never to forget and I plan to enjoy every minute of it. 

Before I finish up I want to wish all my fellow black stripe club mates and friends from other clubs the very best of luck and I look forward to seeing and grading with you all on 17th. I also have a few personal  thank yous to hand out. So, in no particular order...

Scott McMillan - thanks for the words of encouragement and helping me to believe in myself again.

Kuli Chahal - you're without doubt the best instructor I have ever trained under but I also consider you a good friend... thanks for telling me to "CUT THE CRAP AND GET ON WITH IT!!"... when it needed to be said. See, I do listen... well sometimes I do :)

Simon Littlejohn - Over the past few weeks you and I have talked numerous times on the phone or at training when you've been down at Prestwick. Thanks for listening and also bolstering my confidence. Looking forward to grading with you mate.

Gill Blackwood, Helen Westwood - Thank you both for the constant pestering of me all the way back down to Ayr in the car after the 2nd pre-blackbelt session.. my ears have never been the same since!

Teagan and Ieuan - For just being you... don't stop and don't change.

Karen Harley - Like the kids, thanks for being you and thanks for making sure I believe in myself and own abilities... and thanks for bouncing theory galore off me in the next week as I know you will!

Max & John Stewart - Thanks for being my chauffeurs to Bristol on 17th. First beer is on me John. Max, semi or fully skimmed?

To everyone at Prestwick & Ayr TaeKwonDo - Thanks for being my second family, you gals and guys are the best!

.... now.. lets do this thing!

1 comment: